Changing characters part way through game

Support for Character Pimper related problems.
cybmole
Global Mod

Changing characters part way through game

Postby cybmole » 03 Sep 2009, 16:00

I recall eading some Dos & DONTs about this but can't find them now that I need them. Have re-read the 9.0 HD & 9.5 documentation but what I want to know is:

What happnes to saves & game progress when you use the CP to swap out a character. e.g. does it only take effect at start of a chapter.

Can you change a character part way thorugh & chapter & what does that do to game saves ?

I am sure this is documented somewhere, I just can't find it!

Admin edit:
Cleared message + made sticky ;|)

FAKEFACTORY

Re: changing characters part way through game

Postby FAKEFACTORY » 03 Sep 2009, 21:52

You can change any maincharacter during the game without problems, as long as they are not dead.

NPC/Citizens that are changed after they have died ingame (or simple ragdolls) CAN produce some strange graphical effects. This is the reason for the Characterpimper warning on swapping the NPC-modelsets.

cybmole
Global Mod

Re: changing characters part way through game

Postby cybmole » 04 Sep 2009, 09:53

FAKEFACTORY wrote:You can change any maincharacter during the game without problems, as long as they are not dead.

NPC/Citizens that are changed after they have died ingame (or simple ragdolls) CAN produce some strange graphical effects. This is the reason for the Characterpimper warning on swapping the NPC-modelsets.

Ok - I'm getting a problem when I test HL2 9.51 HD with the adult pimper options. I have isntalled AP version 2 & I use character pimper to select one & to load it into Eli's lab ( Black Mesa east ) then start a new game at that chapter in HL2 - CM9.51 HD. Alyx appears with some sort of blank mesh where flesh should be - as if she's wearing a plain stretch fabric thingie under her jacket. and here hiar is a light coloured pony tail effect + here feet are incomplete
So now as a 2nd attempt I try again with a different AP model - exactly the same result ???
the models all look OK within character pimper..
So as I 3rd try I install the FF V16 model & start new game at same place - I get same screwed up Alyx as before

4th try :is it a steam issue maybe steam was running while I did the previous character changes - & must it be OFF ? so I repeat test 3 but this time I shut down steam while I insert the V16 model - makes no difference so it is not a steam issue
- looking like a bug or incompatibility between Adult Pimper V2/V2 update & FF code ?

SO: reversing out the AP install: I'd backed up the original Autoplay folder so I put that back, now I only see FF models in CP, as it should be, so insert V16 model - try new game again - same screwed up model.

so - serious repair issues ahead- apart from the autoplay folder, I check the Ap zips & I see that Ap v2 update puts files in HL2-materials-models-Alyx and I did not back up that area first

so how to repair - do I have to rerun all of 9.0 HD 9.51 or just rerun 9.51 ? I@m redoing 9.51 install & will retest to see if I have repared the damage - will report back later
UPDATE - DUMB NOOB - ALERT - I was testing with sound off & the character that I tought was a screwed up Alyz was actually a screwed up Mossman - that explains why changing the alyx characters had no effect !

so there's a bug with Mossman - or was - before I reinstalled 9.51 - if I can face going theoruhg the holw Ap thing again I'll see if there is actually a bug with Alyx - HOW STUPID OF ME

cybmole
Global Mod

Re: Changing characters part way through game

Postby cybmole » 04 Sep 2009, 10:53

Whew - sorted I think.

reinstalled 9.51, swapped AP version of autoplay back in to Character Pimper.

tested HL2 Eli lab section repeatedly using a save game made just before Alyx appears. both AP & FF HD models & the difrferent MOsssman models now look right
NOTES To SELF -
don't test with sound ff
know the game plot better
don't confuse Alyx with Mossman ^^

jcgeny

Postby jcgeny » 20 Dec 2011, 21:03

that could be a good update to make , CPimper showing models in 3D
Batman city has it and it is quite cool to see all monsters .

some humans model like the mads of the asylum in the prison-hl2 , or bane and mr freeze without armor could make some good new combines .
in latest batman , there are also a tons of models like "bed" in a big squat that could be cool to be turned into furniture in many houses or buildings .

faso123

Postby faso123 » 22 Feb 2014, 04:43

Développé comme un clin d'œil à l'après-guerre pilotes de brousse dans le Nord du Canada, le Canada Goose Chilliwack bomber offre la durabilité, la chaleur et la mobilité que ces pilotes nécessaires pour travailler sur les pistes de l'Arctique. Un style durablement populaire et emblématique, la Chilliwack est l'un des plus aimés de vestes Canada Goose.
http://www.heliarcticvestes.com

Return to “Character Pimper”