CM 12 install impossible??

Technical support for ALL VERSIONS of FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod.
Please post Character Pimper related questions in the Character Pimper section!
RobbieRocketpants

CM 12 install impossible??

Postby RobbieRocketpants » 30 May 2013, 08:44

I'm literally ready to tear my hair out.... Bought the Orange Box specifically so I could play the Cinematic Mod 12.21 and I can't get it to work. I always get "MountAppFilesystem() failed: You don't have all the GFCs needed to play this game"

I've followed all the instructions and fixes I can find and nothing works. Is this mod broken? Because if it is, someone should pull this website. I don't mean to sound like a dick but I've never come across a mod I couldn't install and this one really takes the cake. It shouldn't be this difficult. Installing from Full 12.0 and then updated to 12.21, tried both and neither work. Ran all the games to autosave, installed all SDKs, tried Steampipe, uninstalled and reinstalled everything, still no idea wtf GCFScape is since that site is in Chinese and no one has been bothered to post instructions on how to use it properly if they've figured it out, they just say "hey this works!".

I'm missing the following GFC's which are clearly causing CM not to run.

episode two content.gcf
episode two maps.gcf
episode two materials.gcf
Base Source Shared Materials.gcf
Base Source Shared Models.gcf
Base Source Shared Sounds.gcf

Where do I get them and how can I make this work? Because otherwise I'm out of money that I could have not wasted on this and that's annoying. Again sorry for sounding annoyed but I don't understand why this is turning into such a headache.

RobbieRocketpants

Re: CM 12 install impossible??

Postby RobbieRocketpants » 31 May 2013, 06:28

FIXED:

For anyone having the same problems with the GCF error, the only way to fix it is to download the missing GCF files found in the link in this thread, thanks to McBaal:

http://cinematicmod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2224

I think as it stands if you do a new install of HL2, the episode packs and the SDKs, Steam will not generate the correct GCF files to get any of the CM's working. I tried 11 and 12 and neither worked. Ignore anything else you read. Forget Steampipe, GCFScape, I've spent 3 days trying to get CM12 to work and this was the only way. CM11 also worked before I uninstalled it and installed CM12.

Install HL2, the episodes and the SDK's. To be safe run each of them once (yes, even the SDK's). With Steam closed install CM12 but do not run it. If you have an update to CM12 copy those files over now. Open Readme_12.txt that's located in the CM12 install folder. Near the top it will show you all the GCF files you need to run any version of CM. Now go to Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps (or whatever your install directory is) to see which GCF files you have missing, I had at least 3. Download them from the link above and move them into this folder. I got away with not having Base Source Shared Materials.gcf, Base Source Shared Models.gcf and Base Source Shared Sounds.gcf. I don't even think they're available through that link, I guess they're not necessary. The others definitely are. Next go into the Start Menu, find "FAKEFACTORY CM12" and run the Configurator to set your CM settings and install the character skins using Character Pimper. Do this from the Start Menu not directly from the installed folder. Run Half-Life 2 (Ep0), again from the Start Menu, and CM12 should load up.

Looking pretty good in 1080p with all settings enabled, love the iron sights and the glint of the suit visor. Really breathes life into an old and brilliant game.
Last edited by RobbieRocketpants on 31 May 2013, 10:49, edited 2 times in total.

RobbieRocketpants

Postby RobbieRocketpants » 31 May 2013, 08:09

Also if you get a black screen on Ep 1 and Ep 2 like I did, enter dev mode with the ~ key in game and skip to a different map by enabling cheats and entering a map code (look it up in Google). Once the map has loaded press ESC and click New Game, it should work okay now.

One last thing, pick a conservative looking Alyx if you change her skin, otherwise it's distracting (redf)

Deli

Postby Deli » 08 Jun 2013, 15:28

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8554353

here are the necessary gcf filer uploaded to a single torrent, plus the sound.rar for the soundproblems, was hell to get all the files so thought this would make it easier for the next person that comes looking for this!

Edit: sorry bout that first link didnt work, fixed now!

BogPojkin

Postby BogPojkin » 04 Jul 2013, 22:00

Return to “Cinematic Mod”