CM 2013 FINAL

AlexDC2013

Re: CM 2013 FINAL

Postby AlexDC2013 » 20 Apr 2015, 21:28

I make a copy of soundtrack from v1.01 before uninstall it. Any special method to restore it, Or just need to copy all files back to there locations?

sexus

Postby sexus » 22 Apr 2015, 00:01

wait , what , the original valve soundtrack ...thats all ? , lols , thank god someone backed it up then, not sure if theres some special method that has to be done to restore the tracks , i recon a simple overwrite should do the trick?

well be waiting then for that link to the tracks, thanks

sexus

Postby sexus » 22 Apr 2015, 00:07

thatguy81 wrote:A second point:

Does the recent 'update' for Half-Life 2 affect anything in the Cinematic mod? What I mean is, the Cinematic mod uses some resources files from Half-Life 2, correct? So, if they are updated, do they have any effect on the mod whatsoever?

wait , what? what update? if you mean the recent "update" , that wasnt an update it was a mod called half life 2 update , it never was a official update by valve , its just a half assed approach at a minimalistic cinematic mod , well and its got dev commentarys or such from what ive heard , nothing you couldnt just rip out and add into cinematic mod , not sure what value it would bring thou

thatguy81

Postby thatguy81 » 22 Apr 2015, 07:19

sexus wrote:
thatguy81 wrote:A second point:

Does the recent 'update' for Half-Life 2 affect anything in the Cinematic mod? What I mean is, the Cinematic mod uses some resources files from Half-Life 2, correct? So, if they are updated, do they have any effect on the mod whatsoever?

wait , what? what update? if you mean the recent "update" , that wasnt an update it was a mod called half life 2 update , it never was a official update by valve , its just a half assed approach at a minimalistic cinematic mod , well and its got dev commentarys or such from what ive heard , nothing you couldnt just rip out and add into cinematic mod , not sure what value it would bring thou

Doesn't Cinematic Mod use some resources from vanilla Half Life 2 though? I realise the update is a mod, but if there are assets that are changed in the mod that are also used by Cinematic Mod, you can see the reasoning behind my question.

In any case, I am using the Half Life 2 asset files for Cinematic Mod's requirement :).

On a separate issue, and this was before I used the Half Life 2 update assets, I notice there is a bit of an issue for Half Life 2 in Windows 10 TP. You have to use -windowed -noborder

Once open, you can adjust the screen resolution and full screen/windowed option and it works, although it probably is still in windowed mode. It doesn't seem to affect the performance. I did notice that some of the effects are a bit screwey though, these are the optional effects through configurator. It still works though. This is in Episode 2, although I believe the other episodes are like that too. I realise that it's meant to be a 'mood' thing, but I'm talking about change since CM 2013 release version. This could also be because of the Windows 10 issue though.

The Windows 10 issue is a know one. I found out how to run it through a google search. It's probable that the engine will need updating, and they may do that... CM 2013 Update 3?

On a separate note, I take it SharpDX is completely useless for this mod?
http://sharpdx.org/

thatguy81

Postby thatguy81 » 22 Apr 2015, 08:11

For those that are interested.

Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod 2013 Update 2 folder size:
~56.5 GB

Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod 2013 Update 2 folder size, with NTFS file compression:
~43 GB

Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod 2013 Update 2 folder size, with Windows 10 Xpress16K file compression:
~35.2 GB

Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod 2013 Update 2 folder size, with Windows 10 LZX file compression:
~30.9 GB

Windows 10 effectively has five file compression types, compared to Windows 8.1 and earlier that only has one :). If you enable NTFS file compression on a new compression format file, it uncompresses the new format file and recompresses as the old format, and sets the compression attribute. The compression attribute does not show using the four new compression types. Typically, the only files that are compressed using the new type are Windows system files and Windows Apps, and done through the Disk Cleanup wizard at time of Windows installation (this change occurred at the last TP build). The compression used is only xpress4K though, even though xpress16K seems to be faster on reasonable machines.

The new formats are:
  • Xpress4K (default)
  • Xpress8K
  • Xpress16K (best practical)
  • LZX (best compression, but slowest).

Just thought I'd point that out, out of interest :). Xpress16K seems fine to use with Cinematic Mod, as well as other games. LZX compresses even better, but isn't practical due to the speed; HL2 CM2013 loaded slower with LZX as expected.

Funnily enough, HL2 with CM2013 seems to load quicker with Xpress16K than it did uncompressed! I recommend people on Windows 10 try it :). Before people ask, I did have the best test environment possible to me at the time, so other factors weren't affecting it (like fragmentation, location on disk etc). Yes, I did defragment the drive, on which only HL2 was located, after each compression run, the drive is a mechanical drive :).

The fact it was a mechanical drive did mean it had to load less data off the disk, the load speed differences would probably be much less on a SSD.

So, how do you do it? Well, there's an easy way in the works so I'll let people know when it's finished. It will only be applicable to Windows 10 as support for these new compression algorithms was only added in Windows 10.* still in the works, but it will be ready within the next couple of days or so.

After a few more tests with xpress16K, it without fail is faster for me across different applications and games. The difference is most noticeable with mechanical drives, but it is still faster off the SSD as well (it's a decent enough SSD too, not a slow one). Microsoft seems to have done a good job with optimising this new algorithm, I just wish they would make it xpress16K for the not so slow systems out there (as it saves noticeably more disk space as well as being faster!).

A 47 percent reduction in disk space usage (possible in Windows 10) for Cinematic Mod 2013, in addition to faster load times, is nothing to quibble over :)!.
Last edited by thatguy81 on 27 Apr 2015, 07:36, edited 3 times in total.

jcgeny

Postby jcgeny » 25 Apr 2015, 21:37

after rethinking about the music deletion ....i came to the point that it should be some rap of the usa as the background sound : 2pac , james brown , public enemy or grandmaster flash .
i making one mix with these singers and others , but not for the mod , if there are some interested to create something...

Mosomi

Postby Mosomi » 26 Apr 2015, 23:46

I've been lurking these forums since CM7

so i finally decided signup and give my thoughts about cinematicmod

(thumb_1) (thumb_1) to Fakefactory

The ONLY small disappointments i've ever had with cinematicmod's is lack of 18/R/A character models :(

And lack of breasts size on females ( yes i'm that kind of freak :DD )

kucing123

Postby kucing123 » 27 Apr 2015, 14:25

Well, a new version is v1.2 Final. You comeback again, Fakefactory.

Lordgeorge16

Postby Lordgeorge16 » 28 Apr 2015, 05:26

If he keeps coming back to release little updates here and there, what are the odds of getting an Adult Pimper for the latest CM?

Gorgoth

Postby Gorgoth » 05 May 2015, 04:37

Awesome work FAKEFACTORY! nice to see you adding updates still, appreciate the new Alyx models! Hope you'll stay around and update more in the future!
Having problems installing Cm? Follow this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=488

Return to “Cinematic Mod 2013”