Time to backup your GCF files

FAKEFACTORY

Time to backup your GCF files

Postby FAKEFACTORY » 15 Jun 2013, 21:28

With the upcoming Steam Pipe HL2 and its episodes will be converted to a new filecontainer format, that Cinematic Mod (and most 2007-engine based mods) cannot read, and the old GCF files will be deleted during the conversion process.

You should backup the following files now:

half-life 2 content.gcf
half-life 2 episode one.gcf
half-life 2 episode two english.gcf
half-life 2 episode two low violende.gcf
episode two content.gcf
episode two maps.gcf
episode two materials.gcf
source 2007 binaries.gcf
source 2007 shared materials.gcf
sourcec 2007 shared models.gcf
sourcec 2007 shared sounds.gcf
episodic 2007 shared.gcf
source sounds.gcf
source materials.gcf
source models.gcf
episode 1 shared.gcf
half-life 2 2007 base content.gcf

and all language files (i.e. "half-life 2 german.gcf")

SpotEnemyBoats

Re: Time to backup your GCF files

Postby SpotEnemyBoats » 16 Jun 2013, 05:22

I opted into Alfred's HL2 (VPK2) beta, well.... f*ck.

Dadster

Postby Dadster » 17 Jun 2013, 01:50

FAKEFACTORY wrote:With the upcoming Steam Pipe HL2 and its episodes will be converted to a new filecontainer format, that Cinematic Mod (and most 2007-engine based mods) cannot read, and the old GCF files will be deleted during the conversion process.

You should backup the following files now:

half-life 2 content.gcf
half-life 2 episode one.gcf
half-life 2 episode two english.gcf
half-life 2 episode two low violende.gcf
episode two content.gcf
episode two maps.gcf
episode two materials.gcf
source 2007 binaries.gcf
source 2007 shared materials.gcf
sourcec 2007 shared models.gcf
sourcec 2007 shared sounds.gcf
episodic 2007 shared.gcf
source sounds.gcf
source materials.gcf
source models.gcf
episode 1 shared.gcf
half-life 2 2007 base content.gcf

and all language files (i.e. "half-life 2 german.gcf")

FakeFactory, is performing this necessary action a prelude to the imminent release of CM 13.0?????

And please confirm that these are ALL of the files that need to be backed-up.

Falsename

Postby Falsename » 17 Jun 2013, 06:29

Oh I get it!

It's Mod number 13.
The year is 2013.

Cinematic Mod 2013!

I see what you did there.

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Falsename

Postby Falsename » 17 Jun 2013, 06:47

Also, I hope that the
"half-life 2 episode two low violende.gcf"

file isn't important.... seeing as I don't actually have it to backup.

spazznid

Postby spazznid » 17 Jun 2013, 07:47

I just backed up my entire GCF library that had anything to do with the HL2 series.

Also, in anticipation and preperation for Cinematic Mod's next incarnation. I'd like to share some of the screenshots I've taken of Cinematic mod and HL2. I think FAKEFACTORY is a very under appreciated person. You devote your time to something I can only hope you enjoy doing and you allow others to enjoy it as well. There is no better feeling than sharing the fruits of your labor. Thank you, FAKEFACTORY, for your time, and thank you for your mod.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spazznid/sets/72157633933927348/

Now, can we expect a new trailer/teaser for the next version of the mod? And I also thought you said the next one was going to be like version 14 or something. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

About these forums, though. Have you ever thought about maybe getting a different one, or maybe getting the help of some moderators? As a base of Operations, the advertising bots are kind of distracting, but I understand if you don't feel like it deserves any action. It's still only a distraction.

If I may, can I ask what kind of changes/additions are going to be in the new CM?

FAKEFACTORY

Postby FAKEFACTORY » 17 Jun 2013, 10:23

Dadster wrote:FakeFactory, is performing this necessary action a prelude to the imminent release of CM 13.0?????

And please confirm that these are ALL of the files that need to be backed-up.

Yes, i will release a alpha soon. It will install a minimum-set of GCF files, but no language specific. Here is a snipped from the readme:

Code: Select all

Starting with Version 2013 CM is using its own steam-independent subdir for all needed GCF files.
This is necessary for keeping the mod steam-update-proof.

After a fresh installation of this mod only english language steam setting is supported.

YOU CANNOT START THE MOD IN FOREIGN LANGUAGE WITHOUT THE LANGUAGE GCF's IN THE RIGHT DIRECTORY!
If YOU DON'T HAVE THE LANGUAGE FILES YOU MUST SET STEAM LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH (EITHER WITH THE STEAM CLIENT OR WITH THE MODS CONFIGURATOR)

To enable multi-language support copy your language specific GCF files from your steam dir
into the GCF subdir inside the mods directory. (The installer will try to do the work, but prepare for manual copying, just to be shure)

(i.e. copy "half-life 2_german.gcf", "half-life 2 episode one german.gcf", "half-life 2 episode two german.gcf" to the mods GCF dir)

After that the mods launcher will pick up the language files for your currently selected steam language.

FAKEFACTORY

Postby FAKEFACTORY » 17 Jun 2013, 10:29

spazznid wrote:
Now, can we expect a new trailer/teaser for the next version of the mod? And I also thought you said the next one was going to be like version 14 or something. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

About these forums, though. Have you ever thought about maybe getting a different one, or maybe getting the help of some moderators? As a base of Operations, the advertising bots are kind of distracting, but I understand if you don't feel like it deserves any action. It's still only a distraction.

If I may, can I ask what kind of changes/additions are going to be in the new CM?

Dont' know about the trailer. Maybe, if i'm bored :)

History snipped::

Code: Select all

History:

CM 2013 alpha 01

- Rework of every single map in the game
- Improved lighting in all maps
- Improved landscapes and foliage. Most outdoor maps are completely re-sculped with new dispalcements
- Changed the old smoke explosions (moving alpha-texture planes, simple and ugly) to particle effects
- Dropped Parallax mapping because of crashes (duh!), but improved normal mapping in the game
- Tweaked self-shadowing effects
- Added Bumpmapping to most old (flat) textures
- Many new HD textures
- Reworked the dynamic soundtrack system
- Reworked Client-Code, fixing all known crash errors
- Fixed all known plot-stoppers (like faulting npc scripts and event-triggers)
- Changed directory structure to keep the mod independent from future gamefile updates (Steam *loves* to break things)

Dotard

Postby Dotard » 17 Jun 2013, 14:05

FAKEFACTORY wrote:- Dropped Parallax mapping because of crashes (duh!), but improved normal mapping in the game

T_T no workaround for that?

n3krO

Postby n3krO » 17 Jun 2013, 23:01

I'm really looking foward to this...

If i don't launch any half-life, it won't convert the files, right?

Am i going to wait for too long? Maybe i'll just finish hl2 cm12 and then wait for ep1 cm13 :P

PD: Could you include a HD version of vAlyx? even if it's one from old builds (CM7 had it, right?).

Return to “Cinematic Mod 2013”