Cinematic Mod 11 with PhysX and HybridPhysX

General chat about FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod that not belongs to any of the other categories.
jcgeny

Cinematic Mod 11 with PhysX and HybridPhysX

Postby jcgeny » 20 Nov 2010, 22:36

recently i had discovered PhysX and HybridPhysX with my new build of computer that has 2 hd5970 and one gtx260 .
it s incredible what it gives to the games like batman or mafia2 . in batman it s mostly the vapors and in mafia2 the bullets . the clothes are also having a big use of it
i post new links to open the talk about that idea

http://www.geforce.com/#/GamesandApps/g ... lum/videos

http://www.geforce.com/#/GamesandApps/g ... ia2/videos

@b0fh

Re: Cinematic Mod 11 with PhysX and HybridPhysX

Postby @b0fh » 21 Nov 2010, 12:26

The source engine (by default) uses physics produced by the Havok engine, so why FF (or anybody) would go to the trouble of plugging the nVidia (only) solution in I don;t know.

...which is a shame, because PhysX works much better than Havok, but for the Source engine Havok does it's job adequately.

jcgeny

Postby jcgeny » 21 Nov 2010, 20:57

i know about source engine " physics " that is most of the time gravity .
with PhysX that is a new world of effects that can be added ;']
by now i see that as the next st3p for the Mod , it will add a lot of the "Cinematic" he wants to "insert" in hl2 .
the vapors like in batman can help to create a frightening atmosphere in Ravenholm , that is a lot of work to update models and maps but Juergen is able of doing so much work on these maps that i just believe he can do that 8'] .

@b0fh

Postby @b0fh » 22 Nov 2010, 11:04

I did agree that PhysX > Havok 99.9% of the time, especially with the added effects of weather, fog, debris, et etc. But a lot depends on whether the PhysX sdk is open-source, free or licensed, and how much it would take to plug it in and then code in all the effects.

Fantastic idea yes, but I just don;t see it being pulled off by one man who does this as a hobby (Much as I'd love to see it)

NadTheBat

Postby NadTheBat » 23 Nov 2010, 07:05

I've done some work with physics, and I'll tell you, it's damn near impossible to work with. To make it even harder, FF would have to completely re-design every last object affected by physics in the game, completely build the physics engine from the ground up, edit every level to inlclude those subtle little effects such as smoke, and on top of that, only people with Nvidia GPU's would benefit from this, and if FF doesn't use Nvidia GPU's, then I doubt he would spend countless hours working on something this big unless he had some way to test it himself. So who knows, he may do it, but it could all amount to a huge waste of time.

And to avoid you accusing me of saying Nvidia sucks, I proudly say that I own 4 GTX 580's. They could easily beat 8 of ATI's best cards, even by themselves.

jcgeny

Postby jcgeny » 23 Nov 2010, 09:17

i read minutes ago an interresting review having the nv 580 480 and hd5970 6870 x2 .
the 6870 is half the price of 580 and is better in crossfireX http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... eview/1133
the hd5970 is also better , the 580 is 25 % faster than the 480 .

by the way that is not the most interesting , these top cards are not always so better than middle range models .
PhysX is not only for Nvidia user ;'] , i have 2 hd5970 and a gtx260 and i have it , install is a not-easy thing at least for my mainboard but after playing with drivers ati & nvidia i have it
thanks to this "virus" [according to M$ antivirus WHQL] there http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1770 ... -04ff.html

a simple setup with a 8800 or above is enough , that can be a cheap add-in with cards costing 50 euro . mine is a second hand that i found for 130 with 2 month warranty .

here is where the PhysX sdk can be found http://developer.nvidia.com/object/physx_downloads.html ,
that should be a big work to add it to the hl2 maps and models but Nvidia should help FakeFactory and may be lend him a person or two for his mod to play it . they are used to do that and in the case of the mod , that is clear it is " serious business " ;']
by the way you ll be able to help with your experience with this sdk , i think Cinematic Mod 10 is good and the best for non-physx way of playing hl2 , Cinematic Mod 11 can be a whole new experience of playing it with the fact , it needs a Gtx .

Lorenzitto

Postby Lorenzitto » 28 Mar 2011, 02:46

I think the most "easy part" its to make source engine use different dlls: to start trying like making physx only "calculating" physics on particles and character bodies collisions, after to make some much dinamic enviroment.....

NadTheBat

Postby NadTheBat » 29 Mar 2011, 04:34

That's a good idea with the dlls and what not, I'll try that and I'll post the results if I can get it working.

Howtodohack

Postby Howtodohack » 29 Dec 2016, 04:18

recently i had discovered PhysX and HybridPhysX with my new build of computer that has 2 hd5970 and one gtx260 .
it s incredible what it gives to the games like batman or mafia2 . in batman it s mostly the vapors and in mafia2 the bullets . the clothes are also having a big use of it
i post new links to open the talk about that idea

http://www.cheathacker.com/football-man ... s-xbox-pc/

Return to “On-Topic”