New: Anti-Spam question ~ Please report spam!

If you have website and forum related problems or suggestions, you can post em here!
Gorgoth

Re: New: Anti-Spam question ~ Please report spam!

Postby Gorgoth » 07 Jul 2011, 09:43

Oh well, its better then nothing. And it shouldn't be a problem unless there is a sudden increase in members when CM11 comes out but I wouldn't imagine so since only we will know about it.
Having problems installing Cm? Follow this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=488

ShahJahan

Postby ShahJahan » 07 Jul 2011, 15:55

cybmole wrote:i took another look at the moderator controls & found an option called "moderate forum" ( separate from "moderate topic" )

that let me select a bunch of golf posts & bulk delete them in 1 go, but I still see no way to ban the golf-bot.

Under the post, is there is "Give Refraction" button? If not, then under the profile of that user is it? It should be there in either of the two (or both!) with the option to ban and add the IPs of this user to anti-spam (or anti-bot) blacklist.

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 07 Jul 2011, 17:15

ShahJahan wrote:
cybmole wrote:i took another look at the moderator controls & found an option called "moderate forum" ( separate from "moderate topic" )

that let me select a bunch of golf posts & bulk delete them in 1 go, but I still see no way to ban the golf-bot.

Under the post, is there is "Give Refraction" button? If not, then under the profile of that user is it? It should be there in either of the two (or both!) with the option to ban and add the IPs of this user to anti-spam (or anti-bot) blacklist.

i can't see anything like that - no "user / poster" controls at all.

moderate topic is to move/edit/delete/merge/lock topics/

moderate forum is to view tick headers then select an action - like delete

i can click on the golf-bots name but all I get is view statistics / details and a friend or foe setting.

I did see that 5 of of his recent posts are sitting in a queue awaiting approve/disapprove decisions , all reported by gorath- i guess that's where they go once someone reports them as spam; but nothing that lets me ban him or identify him.

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 22 Jul 2011, 08:22

NadTheBat wrote:Well if it's new moderators and admins they're looking for, I would gladly volunteer. Because quite frankly, that guy and his golf spam posts are really starting to annoy me.

i cleaned out another heap of golfing s**t today.

I wish the site owner would show up and/or take on more mods like yourself. I only drop by occasionally.

he needs to ban some spam-bot IDs or give us the tools to do so.

NadTheBat

Postby NadTheBat » 22 Jul 2011, 21:49

cybmole wrote:
NadTheBat wrote:Well if it's new moderators and admins they're looking for, I would gladly volunteer. Because quite frankly, that guy and his golf spam posts are really starting to annoy me.

I wish the site owner would show up and/or take on more mods like yourself. I only drop by occasionally.

I think I could really help with this whole spam situation... I check the forums here at least twice a day, and a make a post practically every time I log in. And I wouldn't know too much about the moderating tools on this site, but from past experience on similar forums, even low-rank mods (again, not sure about the whole moderator thing on this site) had the ability to ban members. Now, I'm not saying the mods here don't know what they are doing, it could be a simple design flaw and something the site owner forgot to include.

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 23 Jul 2011, 05:37

NadTheBat wrote:
cybmole wrote:

I think I could really help with this whole spam situation... I check the forums here at least twice a day, and a make a post practically every time I log in. And I wouldn't know too much about the moderating tools on this site, but from past experience on similar forums, even low-rank mods (again, not sure about the whole moderator thing on this site) had the ability to ban members. Now, I'm not saying the mods here don't know what they are doing, it could be a simple design flaw and something the site owner forgot to include.

i agree, I'm sure you'd do a great job, I just don't know how to contact the site woner other than posts & PMs

PS I want through the moderator options AGAIN - no tools for banning users that I can see :-(

NadTheBat

Postby NadTheBat » 23 Jul 2011, 10:44

I honestly doubt anyone will be able to contact the site owner by any means, he hasn't even logged in since February.

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 23 Jul 2011, 11:57

NadTheBat wrote:I honestly doubt anyone will be able to contact the site owner by any means, he hasn't even logged in since February.

you say that, but he did drop by to set up the anti-spam filter ( which is clearly not good enough yet ) and start this thread ?

Gorgoth

Postby Gorgoth » 23 Jul 2011, 12:43

umm yeah he did set it start this topic... back in 2009
Having problems installing Cm? Follow this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=488

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 23 Jul 2011, 13:28

Gorgoth wrote:umm yeah he did set it start this topic... back in 2009

whoops - did not notice that.

since we've been left to your own devices, I could hand over my moderator account to you if you like, & re-register myself as someone else - PM me to work out the detail if you are interested. I don't think I can change user name but I could set & PM you a temporary pssowrd than you could tweak the account details ( email address etc) & change password to suit yourself.

Return to “Remarks, questions, ...”